Thursday, July 15, 2010

" It's not done until you see smoke "



This all started earlier this evening as I was working out with a couple of my friends. For some strange reason we always end our workouts by talking about all the amazing-dietbreaking-heartattacking-arteryplugging-greasepacked-beautiful delicacies that we should not eat after we head to our respective homes.

In-N-Out, Sonic Burger, McDonald's, and last but not least Baker's. How can you end a workout on that note? Guhh...

I was definitely craving a burger by the time I hopped into my car... On the drive home not only am I taunted and teased by a billboard advertising Jack in the Box, but to add insult to injury my exit off of the freeway has a Jack in the Box AND McDonald's right off of the exit.... Double Guhh...

So I fought past the temptation, triumphantly park my car, and walk up to my front door.

*sniff**sniff*

Oh no.... Either my fat boy fantasies are finally manifesting themselves and attacking my olfactory bulb or my parents are making burgers.... Triple Guhhhh......

As the key turns in the lock and the door swings open I am greeted by my pleasantly plump father asking me, "How was your workout?" Quadruple Guhhh....

And the first thing I say in response is, "I smell burgers..."

In response my father says, "Well, Mom burnt mine... "

Burnt or not, that smell was killing me....

I need a burger....

I give in and scream out to my mom, "Can you make me a burger too, Mom?"

She very happily responds, "Yes of course!" Did I mention how much I love my mother?

Fast forward a few minutes.... It smells great in my house. I open up my laptop and check some emails, and as I look up from behind my computer I notice that my mom is no longer in the kitchen, but that beautiful burger smell is getting strong and stronger.

As I get up to check on the food I yell out to my mom, "Mom did you leave the burger on the stove??? Is it burning?!?! "

She very casually comes into the kitchen at the same time as I do and looks at the stove...

She sees the sesame hamburger buns sitting in the pan and calmly goes back to watching HGTV in the other room.

Astonished I ask her, "What?! Why are you watching TV? The buns are going to burn, Mom!!"

And she looks over to me with the most honest and sincere look on her face and responds, "It's not done until you see smoke."

This blog is a place for my sister and I to share our cooking stories, most of which have and will be inspired by our mother's very unorthodox yet scrumptious cooking methods.

We love you Mom.

Bon appetit.

P.S. It's 2 a.m. and it still smells of beautifully burnt burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment