Monday, August 2, 2010

Blueberry scones


Apparently I'm the only one who is probably going to post things on here, haha.

So I made some lemon-glazed blueberry scones a week ago, and I'm craving some more!  I used this VERY simple recipe by Tyler Florence, and it was surprisingly easy and delicious.  I did adapt it a bit to my own taste, but I followed it pretty closely.

 It says to only add 2 TBSP of sugar to the dry mix, but I probably added 3.  Scones are not supposed to be too sweet, but come on, it can't be flavorless!


This picture has the heavy cream in the center.  The butter + flour mixture did NOT look crumbly after putting it through my food processor.  If your butter + flour mixture comes out like this, don't worry, it'll bake fine.

To give the scones a little more flavor, I mixed a tsp. of vanilla extract with the heavy cream before mixing it with the butter+flour mixture.

After "gently" folding the blueberries into the wet mix, I cut the dough into triangular pieces and placed them on parchment-lined baking sheets.

Before.....
After!

The lemon glaze was a bit too lemony for my taste, and there was a TON of it left.  I think if you use less lemon juice (1/4 cup?), no lemon zest, and less sugar, you'll be good to go.

Next on the list are savory scones.  Bacon + cheddar or cheddar + dill?  I think bacon + cheddar is more fatty, and fatty = delicious, so we'll probably go with that  :)

3 comments: